embracing my curls, by SE
This article was written for yooou! by 15-year-old, SE. For all you curly-hair girls, you are going to love these tips!
I used to brush out my curly hair everyday, killing my curls. My hair was constantly frizzy and a complete mess! Then, I discovered the perfect products and routine to help my curls look healthy and defined.
How I Embraced My Curls:
- Shampoo and Conditioner: It is important to use a good shampoo and conditioner to keep your hair looking shiny, healthy, and curly. Look for products that help maintain moisture and are specifically created for curly hair. I personally use the Ouidad Curl Quencher Shampoo and the Oribe Intense Conditioner.
- Mousse: I look for a mousse that is light and does not weigh my curls down or take away any volume such as Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Featherlight Volumizing Foam.
- Gel: Search for a gel that won’t make your hair sticky or heavy. I use the Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel.
- Hairdryer: Any hair dryer with a diffuser attachment works.
My Step by Step Wash and Dry Process:
- Step 1. After washing your hair, use 2 pumps of the mousse and rub it into the ends of your hair.
- Step 2. Using another 2 pumps, tilt your head upside down and scrunch it into your roots. This will help you achieve the best results and will ensure the product is massaged throughout your hair. Repeat this step either once or twice.
- Step 3. Carefully finger comb the gel into your hair making sure it is evenly applied in the front, back, and sides.
- Step 4. Tip your head upside down and scrunch with either a tshirt or a towel in three sections: The front and the sides. Scrunch each section about 5 times.
- Step 5. Hover a hairdryer around the surface of your hair for about 20 seconds on each side.
- Step 6. On each side of your head start defusing in small sections. Once you reach the top of your head, turn off the dryer and hold it there for 10 seconds. Do this for the rest of your head.
- Step 7. Let your hair air dry until your curls feel slightly damp.
- Step 8. Then flip your head over and use your fingers to fluff out your hair. After this, don’t touch your hair again until it is completely dry.
Once your hair fully dries you should have soft, bouncy, spiral curls with lots of volume.
This routine has made me love doing my hair. My confidence gets an immediate boost just from having my curls. I wear my hair curly every day and love it.