happy national donut (or doughnut) day!
Today is National Donut Day! To celebrate we thought we would share some fun facts about donuts!
- The word “doughnut” first appeared in the Oxford English Dictionary in 1782 but by the early 1800s, “donut” became widely used.
- Americans consumer over 10 billion donuts a year! The average American eats at least 63 donuts a year.
- The Dutch brought donuts to America. They were called “olykoeks” which translates to “oily cakes”.
- Donuts were served to soldiers in both World Wars to boost morale.
- A Jewish refugee named Adolph Levitt is credited with inventing the first automated donut machine in 1920.
- There are more than 11,300 Dunkin’ Donuts worldwide.
- Apparently, a glazed donut is the most popular donut in the USA.
What’s your favorite?